skip to Main Content



The UK General work visa, also referred to as skilled worker visa is aimed at medium and high skilled professionals desirous of working in the UK. Low skilled workers are currently not qualified to apply under this category. EEA nationals do not need a visa or work permit to work in the UK.

Prerequisites of Applying for Work Visa

In order to apply for this visa, the applicant must already have the following:

  • A proof of employment from a licensed employer in the UK.
  • A certificate of sponsorship issued by your employer in the UK.
  • Proof that you have personal saving of at least £945 for three months in your bank account that you will use to support yourself upon arrival.
  • Tuberculosis test result if you are arriving from one of the listed countries.
  • You have the required points to apply for a work visa.

Tier 2 General Work Visa Points Assessment

A Tier 2 (General) work visa is a points-based category. Points are awarded for the following:

  • Qualifications
  • Future expected earnings
  • Sponsorship
  • English language skills
  • Available maintenance (funds)
  • To be eligible for the Tier 2 work permit, you must have the necessary qualifications required for the position you have been granted.

How Can Salam Immigration Solicitors Help?

As part of our bespoke services, we dedicate one of our solicitors experienced with work visa cases to work with our clients throughout the visa process. After the client’s eligibility of acquiring the work visa has been established, our solicitor will assess and help with the preparation of all documentation as per the format of the UK government before submitting to the home office for assessment and approval.



0203 771 8366




0161 839 7396




0121 702 2688




01244 344 577


How to Apply for a Work Visa?

There are three main steps involved in lodging an application for a Tier 2 visa.

Step 1: Sponsorship licence
The first stage is undertaken by the employer. Your employer will apply directly to UK Visas and Immigration for a sponsorship licence and will be assessed accordingly.

Step 2: Certificate of sponsorship
An approved sponsor applies for a certificate of sponsorship (CoS) for the position they would like a non-resident worker to fill. Once a CoS is assigned, the migrant may apply for their visa.

Step 3: Applying for the Tier 2 (General) visa
In this final stage, the applicant will submit a visa application using their unique CoS number and proof that they meet the Tier 2 visa requirements.

Back To Top